East End Foundation (EEF) 501(c)(3) in partnership with Houston First Corporation, Houston Arts Alliance Folklife + Civic Engagement Program, City of Houston and Greater East End Management District presents Piñatafest. EEF has made it a priority to focus its efforts on developing programs sensitive to the long-standing cultural traditions present in the community which are also connected directly to contemporary creative practices.
Piñatafest is a community event in the East End Cultural District coinciding with Cinco de Mayo. Piñatafest celebrates the ancient cultural tradition of piñata-making and its long-lived presence throughout Houston's 2nd Ward. The event will showcase sculptures (Piñatas on the Esplanade) inspired by traditional piñatas in a public setting, family-friendly activities, crafts, and a variety of local street vendors.
Piñatas on the Esplanade (Free)
Saturday, May 5: 12:00 - 4:00 PM
(In front of the Original Ninfa's Restaurant)
2800 Navigation Blvd Houston, Texas 77003
Street Parking Available
Free Family-Friendly Activities
- Piñatas on the Esplanade: Large-scale sculpture Exhibition inspired by traditional Piñatas, (awards at 1 pm)
- Mariachi Rebelde Performance
- Community Piñata Making: Garcia's Party Store invites participants to create mini piñatas.
- Contemporary Piñata Crafts: TXRX Labs invites participants to create contemporary piñatas utilizing Pepakura, a new form of papercrafting used to create 3D models.
- Artist Falon Mihalic (recipient of the Kaboom Play Everywhere Grant) presents Playshapes: a pop-up art installation which includes a set of modular colorful building block shapes that kids use to create their own spaces. Tunnels, arches, forts, paths, and more are possible with the easily stacked and combined high density foam forms
- Face-Painting: YES Prep East End Campus Art students offer their skills and talent to paint fun and fabulous designs on participants faces.
- Kickin' Kombucha will be providing their tasty energizing tea that is proudly produced and bottled in East End Houston.
- Games with Repurpose Depot: Two or three toy homes with elements (doors, windows, appliances) that can be disassembled and reassembled with simple tools.
- East End Art Ride: Bike Houston invites participants to tour the East End Cultural District (meets at MoonTower Inn)
- Piñata-Pop: Children 5 and under to break piñatas with candy inside.
- Sculpture Awards Ceremony: Piñatas on the Esplanade sculpture awards announcement 3pm.
- Wide array of street vendors lining the Esplanade offering food, crafts and drinks.
- Market items will be for sale. Presented by East End District